If you are a motorist who lives in Johannesburg, you’ll be happy to know that if you ever suffer any damage to your car due to potholes then you are able to claim the costs from the city.
The Johannesburg Roads Agency (JRA), the body responsible for maintaining roads offers a facility to claim for such damages. This can come in handy if your insurance policy does not provide cover for pothole damage. All you have to do is lodge a claim to the JRA by following the steps below:
- Go to the JRA website:
- Download the claim form
- Complete the form and email it to
- In addition to the form you will need:
- Police affidavit
- Copy of driver’s license of the claimant (in case of vehicle damage)
- Vehicle registration documents (in case of vehicle damage)
- Copy of ID
- Photos of the damage to the car (in case of vehicle damage)
- 3 Quotations or invoice/proof of payment
- Letter from insurance company confirming that a claim was not logged to own insurance/Affidavit of non-insurance.
- Doctors report if there is personal injury
The JRA includes the following disclaimer at the bottom of the claim form:
“Please take notice that receipt of your claim form by the JRA should not be construed as admission of liability. This claim form will be forwarded for investigation to the JRA Region responsible for the area where the alleged incident which gave rise to your claim took place. Once the JRA investigation is complete your claim will be referred together with the JRA’s investigation report to the JRA’s insurance brokers for further assessment and/ or investigation. You will be notified by the JRA’s insurance brokers about the outcomes of your claim.
Please take notice that it will take approximately a period of 8 weeks to finalize your claim.”
Here’s our own Zonotho disclaimer 🙂 :
The information contained in this post is exactly that, purely for information purposes and should not be construed as financial advice. Please contact the JRA directly for any further information or clarification.